In summary, i-Size has 5 fundamental principles:
- It encourages the use of Isofix – with the aim to reduce the risk of incorrect installation
- It becomes mandatory under i-Size for rearward facing car seats until the child reaches 15 months of age
- It incorporates new side impact testing and the use of new ‘Q’ series test dummies, which have more sensors.
- It will use a height based system with the aim to make it easier for an end consumer to understand what is the correct size of seat for their child.
- Eventually, it is proposed that all i-Size certified car vehicles will fit all i-Size car seats.
We anticipate that i-Size car seats will start to become available towards the end of 2013, but with wider availability in 2014 and beyond.
WHAT IS CYBEX’S POSITION?
CYBEX engineers work behind the scenes alongside other leading brands and car seat institutions to help develop these new standards. As a leading brand in Child Safety, CYBEX welcomes and supports any new standard that increases child safety. CYBEX fully supports i-Size because ISOFIX, Side Impact and rearward facing until 15 months are already at the core of our company beliefs and principles when we develop any new car seat product.
ARE I-SIZE SEATS ‘SAFER’ THAN CURRENT R44 SEATS?
Naturally this depends against which brand and which car seat. CYBEX has always targeted to go ‘above and beyond’ the required standards to ensure the highest levels of safety, especially in aspects such as Side Impact testing and other key developments. Through encouraging more use of ISOFIX and clear labelling based on a childs height, the risk of misuse should reduce and hence why we support a move to i-Size over the coming years.
DO I HAVE TO HAVE I-SIZE AND DO I HAVE TO STOP USING R44 CAR SEATS?
- No – the current ECE R44 legal standard will run in parallell with i-Size until approximately 2018.
- There is no legal requirement or obligation for an end consumer to replace their current seat for an i-Size car seat.
- All CYBEX car seats sold today comply with the highest safety and all necessary legal standards and can continue to be used with full confidence.